Tuesday, July 28, 2009

So You Think You Can Run...Week 1

Those of you that know me should be aware of 1 thing: I hate to run!
However, I do like to walk, alot. I also enjoy watching the little numbers on the scale go down and not up. So I've always wanted to like running.

Last weekend I participated in the 10 mile "Blessing of the Fleet" run in Narragansett, Rhode Island (the walking race, Steve and our friend Sam did the run). I did fairly well for someone who had never participated in an organized race, 129th out of 716 total walkers. 95th out 570 women. That's top 16% for those of you, like me, that don't do math. I averaged 13.33 minutes per mile. Well, all the hooplah got me just slightly more motivated to try running again.

I found 2 web-sites that laid out plans for beginning runners:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml and http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-261--9397-1-1X5-3,00.html

The week 1&2 routines didn't look so scary, so this morning I gave it a shot. Being slightly more fit than a "couch potato" and not being able to read the hands on my watch while I ran, I modified the day 1 routine a little bit. I ran 1/4 mile then walked 1/4 mile around the marked course at our local park. I completed 2 laps in this manner for a total of 2.66 miles in about 30 minutes. Not bad for day 1, we'll just have to see if this running stuff begins to win me over!

2 comments:

  1. I can see it now, you, and Steve, and Murphy running together every morning at 5:30, high fiving each other all the way.

    ReplyDelete