Wednesday, January 28, 2009

In the Middle of...being optimistic




Optimismop⋅ti⋅mism  [op-tuh-miz-uhm] –noun
1.a disposition or tendency to look on the more favorable side of events or conditions and to expect the most favorable outcome.
2.the belief that good ultimately predominates over evil in the world.



I admit it, I'm optimistic. What's more I like the feeling that comes with optimism, you know, the anticipation of waiting for something good to come your way.



Furthermore I believe that when you focus on the positive you are more aware and open to the good that is going on around you. No, I'm not quite a believer in The Secret, I don't think that just wishing makes it so; but the choice to acknowledge the positive is certainly within reach.



I believe that goodwill is infectious, but so is negativity, and my attitude affects those that I interact with.



Thanks to my daughter Kristen I had the priveledge of attending the inauguration of our 44th President on January 20th. The feeling of optimism was rampant in the city. But, as Kristen intuitively pointed out, this was primarily a self-selected crowd of Obama supporters so the level of good cheer was to be expected. I drove out of the city and back to New Jersey with a renewed sense of pride in my country, the democratic process, my fellow Americans and in the future of our nation. (The uncharacteristically traffic free drive helped!)



This leaves me wondering however; what are the nay-sayers getting out of their attitude? What is the harm in hoping?



Our country took a huge step in the right direction with this election and I for one choose to hope that we will continue to make improvements. If you feel otherwise, please, keep it to yourself and remember;
“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
Maria Robinson

3 comments:

  1. For the most part, I think that many of us out here are feeling optimistic as well. That being said, I certainly don't believe in The Secret, and I am naturally a pessimist, so my guess is that we are all headed back to partisan politics as usual...and soon. Was I supposed to keep that to myself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh...Yeah! Check your e-mail for the solution from our favorite partisan cousin!

    ReplyDelete