Saturday, February 28, 2009

My own personal "Blue Zone"

We were in South Carolina last week, a result of luck and timing had my 50th birthday and the school's winter break overlap perfectly. While I was recuperating from the 2nd set of nasty germs and week long illnesses passed along by my middle schoolers and the weather was less than balmy, it was very relaxing!

We watched a lot of television, read a lot and I overdosed on nasal spray and Aleve-D. By Wednesday, however, the weather was warming and I was drug free! During our lock-in, we caught an ABC News report on Blue Zones, explaining why people in certain regions live longer than others. Riding horseback at 94? Walking 6 miles a day to deliver hand made tortillas at age 88? Really? Apparently a combination of hard work that you love, a healthy diet and a lot of laughter are the keys to longevity. Cell phones, HD television, internet, stock reports and the like were noticeably absent from the list of requirements.

Mitchell and Spence were at their house in Isle of Palms and had planned to spend the day with us Thursday. Luckily the fog of nasal congestion and over medication had completely cleared at that point and I looked forward to a day of shopping with my good friend, while our men folk went golfing. Not quite "Blue Zone" material, but close.

Unbeknownst to me, Steve had arranged a birthday weekend extravaganza. As Spence and I exited Ann Taylor, on our way to P.F. Chang's to meet the guys for lunch, I notice Mitchell's car rounding the corner. Those of you who have ever passed me on the street know how ironic this is as I have often failed to notice my own husband or children as they drive past me on our own block. Nevertheless, I see the car and there are 2 people in the back seat! Peter and Randi! We're getting closer to feeling "Blue Zonish" now!

It was a perfect birthday weekend! Spa day for the girls, golf for the guys, great meals and conversation. About as close to "Blue Zone" as I can probably get right now. My daughter Dani, however, may be in her own "Blue Zone" already, check out her Eco builings! But it got me thinking about what my own "Blue Zone" might consist of.

Living at the beach, reading, writing, baking and photography. Don't worry, I'll keep a cell phone or computer tucked away so you can let me know when you'll be coming to visit me, after all I'll be there until I'm about 104!

1 comment:

  1. The more I stay in Surfside, the more I think that 104 isn't that much of a stretch, especially with the rejuvenating powers of raucous baby laughter.

    ReplyDelete